Sunday, September 20, 2009

cyclocross: she's a cruel bitch

The Short:

So I went to strangle this bitch called cyclocross and all I got was...well see image above.

The Long:

Kisscross #1 9/18:

The race went off without a hitch. First time I raced on my cx bike. Only had two mount/dismount sections. Moderately sore post race but nothing horrible. Examined pictures post fact and my mounting skills lacked the monkey like skillz of Tom Burke.

Kisscross #2 9/19:

Similar course, same feeling as race #1. After the race however even going to mount onto my bike in the parking lot was a horribly painful experience. I rode later that day with no ill effect or discomfort. As a result I started to incorporate stretching of the groin into my routine with heavy emphasis on warming up before doing any intervals as my groin was still a little sore. Feeling around later that night I felt some strange stuff when I pushed. Kind of like a balloon. I knew what it was…but at least it wasn’t near the actual pain I was feeling.

Doctors Apt 9/15:

I have a hernia. No clue how or when I acquired it. Mother fucker. Not a bad one. Just causes an unsettling feeling. Repairs can wait till the off season. Time to start surgeon shopping. Groin pain persisted the rest of the week but it felt more like someone was stepping on my right nut, no where near my hernia.

Friday 9/25:

After my opener ride I practiced some mounts/dismounts on my cx bike just to gauge my new found groin pain. I felt a twinge. Nothing that really hurt, stretched a little more, but the twinge was still there. For future reference if you feel anything not normal in your groin muscles. Stop. Take a day off...don't race, don’t fuck around, take it easy.

Tailwind CX #1 9/26:

I showed up not knowing if it was a good idea or not. Somewhere between lap one and lap two the pain in my groin started. It became so bad that approaching the barriers or stairs caused me anxiety. Wasn't even sure I could lift my legs. After 15min of racing I called it. DNF. I had a problem and it was serious. The pain was undeniable and racing for 3-4th from DFL isn’t on my list of life goals. Fuck it.

So now I’m all crippled. Who knew someone who rode a bike all year would have such problems surmounting 18’’? I certainly didn’t. Right now it looks like I’ll be skipping Ithica CX and doing very little groin related activities till next week. No point in risking the few races I have left to the season just to be greedy. Sometimes it takes your coach reminding you that indeed this is the OFF SEASON.

Upside? Looks like I will be incorporating some fun exercises into my weekly routines...such as running. Oh joy. Good article on CX groin related fun here: http://cxmagazine.com/training-for-cyclocross-mounts-dismounts-no-injury

1 comment:

Dan Frayer said...

hernia operation sucks. Did it Christmas of 04. Rent some movies because you aren't going to do much for a few days.